Has anyone every asked you this question: “Are you working hard or are you hardly working?”
Hopefully, you were quick on the the draw to respond: “I am working hard!!!” Hard and diligent work produces many positive fruits; here are some of them.
- PLEASES GOD! Why? Because He himself told us to work so as to earn our bread by the work and sweat of our brow. (Gen 3).
- EARN OUR KEEP! St Paul states clearly to the Thessalonians: “He who does not work, should not eat.” You want to eat? Then work hard!
- DEVIL TO FLIGHT! When we do not work, St Bonaventure says, we are surrounded by an army of devils. Whereas, at work, we put the devils to flight! Drugs, porn, alcoholism, gang activity— all of these are related to a lack of a work plan!
- CHARITY AND SERVICE. By working well you are serving others: your community, your family, the church and the whole world!
- JOY AND SATISFACTION. Hard work and work well-done is a reward in and of itself! Joy results! We should add to our work joy. God loves a joyful giver.
- GOOD EXAMPLE! If your work hard, honestly and methodically you are giving good example to others. All of us are called to be shining light of good example to others. Jesus says, “Let your light shine before others so as to give glory to your Father in heaven. (Mt 5)
- TALENTS DEVELOPED. The God-given talents are cultivated. This is pleasing to God.
- OVERCOME THE CAPITAL SIN OF SLOTH/LAZINESS. Remember the Parable of the Talents. (Mt 25). Two of the workers were hard-working and dedicated. The last was lazy and threw his talent in the ground. We want to be the hard and industrious workers.
- JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH. We follow in the footsteps of our three best models: Jesus, Mary, and St. Joseph. All of theme worked hard to serve others and please the Heavenly Father.
- SALVATION. St Paul says that we should “Work out” our salvation in fear and trembling. Remember the immortal words of St Father Alberto Hurtado S.J. (Chilean priest and saint). “There are two places to rest: “The cemetery and heaven.” My friends, let us work hard now and rest forever in heaven with the saints, the angels, with Mary and with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen
Father Ed Broom, OMV, is Associate Pastor of St. Peter Chanel Church in Hawaiian Gardens, California. He is a member of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary and was ordained by Saint John Paul II on May 25, 1986. Fr. Ed teaches Catholic Ignatian Marian Spirituality through articles, podcasts, a radio show, retreats and spiritual direction.