Try to imagine now that you are at a wedding Feast in Cana. You are present with Jesus, Mary, and some of the Apostles.
The environment is festive, joyful, and peaceful as you can imagine in most weddings. The couple has true love for each other and are hoping and praying for the best for their future.
The couple knows Our Lady and Jesus and some of Jesus’ friends, the Apostles, we can imagine them being there to share in the joy.
A SUDDEN SERIOUS PROBLEM! Wine was a key element of the wedding celebration, but for some reason the wine came to an end. This indeed would be very embarrassing to have friends and relatives show up for the celebration and the couple being unable to offer them at least a small glass of wine.
OUR LADY’S ATTENTIVE EYE. Being keenly aware of the environment, the celebration, the situation, and the ensuing embarrassment, Our Lady reacts to help. Our Lady desires the joy and happiness of this couple on their wedding day and she will try to secure their joy.
JESUS AND MARY. Mary turns to Jesus and tells Him that they have no more wine. Jesus responds by saying that His hour has not yet arrived. Mary and Jesus are united in all times and circumstances, in heart, mind and soul.
OUR LADY’S ADVICE. Mary turns to the waiters and tells them: “Do whatever He tells you.” These were the last words recorded of Mary in the Gospel, in all of Sacred Scripture. We can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that these words contain the best advice in the whole world. Mary was saying to the waiter as well as to the whole world to obey Jesus in all things!
FIRST MIRACLE. As a result of Mary’s powerful intercession, Jesus performs His first miracle at the Wedding Feast of Cana, thereby preventing a very embarrassing situation to occur on the wedding day of this young couple.
APOSTLES’ BELIEF. The Apostles witnessed this and their faith in Jesus grew.
Let us now go deep into this mystery of the first Public Miracle of Jesus, through the intercession of Mary, and let God speak to our own hearts, minds and souls.
Let us beg for the grace to know Jesus, love Jesus, and follow Jesus all the more closely through the presence and intercession of Mary, the Mother of God and our own dear Mother.
- MARY LEADS US TO JESUS. A very clear lesson we learn in the Wedding Feast of Cana: Mary leads us to Jesus. There was never anybody on earth as close to Jesus as Mary. Therefore, if I want to get closer to Jesus, to know Him better, love Him more ardently and follow Him more closely, I should turn to Mary. Talk to Mary with a lot of love and confidence and beg her for the grace to get to know Jesus better.
- MARY OBTAINS JOY FOR US. The wedding feast was a joyous occasion and Mary was there. Mary wants you to be joyful in this life and forever joyful in heaven. True joy comes from sharing our lives with Jesus and Mary. All people in the world want to be happy, but many are not because they are looking for happiness in the wrong places—often in sin, separated from Jesus and Mary.
- MARY HELPS US TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS. At the Wedding Feast of Cana a serious problem occurred—they ran out of wine. It was through Mary’s intercession before Jesus that this problem was resolved, quickly and easily. Our life is full of problems, from the beginning until the end. Often when we try to resolve our problems on our own, our problems get worse and worse. Our problems snowball or we get tangled up in our problems. One of the titles for Mary is Undoer of Knots. KNOTS mean problems. We all have knotty problems in our lives. Our Lady can help us, she earnestly desires to help us, but is waiting for us to ask her. What type of problems might we have? Tons of them! Some of these might be yours: problems with parents, problems with a sibling, problems with a companion at school, problems with a class you’re taking, maybe even a health issue personally or with a family member. Right now look at your life and beg Our Lady to help you to see the biggest problem that you are experiencing now. Talk to Our Lady about this. Through her intercession Jesus turned water into wine at Cana. She can intercede for you before Jesus to turn your water (problem) into wine (the solution to the problem).
- MIRACLES CAN HAPPEN. This was the first miracle that Jesus performed and it was through Mary’s presence and intercession. Because of this powerful miracle, the faith of the Apostles in Jesus was strengthened. Beg Our Lady to strengthen your own faith. Faith is believing in God without seeing. Pray that you never lose your faith. Pray that you will grow in your faith daily. Pray for the grace to be able to share your faith with others who have either lost their faith or never had it. One of the best ways to grow in our faith is to generously share it with others!
- COURTSHIP AND MARRIAGE. This Biblical passage took place in the context of a marriage. There is a good chance that you will one day be called to the married life. If you are called to the married life, it is very important to pray that God will help you to choose the right person who will share your life and help you get to heaven! By far, this will be the most important decision in your whole life. Imagine that you are sitting in front of both Jesus and Mary in this wonderful wedding banquet. Contemplate the eyes, the faces and the beauty of Jesus and Mary. Beg them for the grace to know what your vocation in life is and to follow it faithfully until you arrive safely home in heaven.
Father Ed Broom, OMV, is Associate Pastor of St. Peter Chanel Church in Hawaiian Gardens, California. He is a member of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary and was ordained by Saint John Paul II on May 25, 1986. Fr. Ed teaches Catholic Ignatian Marian Spirituality through articles, podcasts, a radio show, retreats and spiritual direction.