St. Paul in his letter to the Phillipians exhorts us to rejoice in the Lord: “I say to you rejoice,rejoice in the Lord…”(Phil 4:4) In Mary’s hymn of praise, the Magnificat, the Mother of God’s Immaculate Heart resound praising God with these words: “My heart rejoices in God my Savior…(Lk. 1:47) True joy can only be found in God. Indeed, only God is the ultimate source of joy in this life and in eternity. Therefore, we offer 10 clear reasons for true rejoicing. I invite you to read and give thanks to God!
1. GOD CREATED YOU OUT OF LOVE! This mere thought should lift your heart in hymns of joy. His love for you is eternal and immutable!
2. PRAYER! At all times and places I can talk to this God who loves me so much. Actually, God anxiously awaits for me to talk to Him even now. Praise, thank and love God now for a few moments!
3. GUARDIAN ANGEL. Right now, beside you is a good friend— your Guardian Angel. He is there to encourage you on your journey to heaven. Rejoice! You are never alone!
4. DIGNITY. Through Baptism you have been transformed into a son/daughter of God. You call God your “Father” and He truly is. Rejoice in your exalted dignity. However, strive to live up to that standard!
5. DESTINY. GOAL CLEAR! You know where you came from and know where you are heading: HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know for certain that after patiently carrying your cross in this brief pilgrimage of life, God has a place prepared for you in heaven!
6. MERCY. Even though you may fall a million times a day, you know that your loving Father has his arms open to forgive you, love you and receive you into his embrace. Remember the parable of the Prodigal Son. (Lk 15).
7. BEST OF FRIENDS. In heaven are the saints, but they are your best of friends. Right now talk to three of your best friends— the saints in heaven. There presence and prayer will fill you with joy. They are praying for you and waiting for you in heaven!
8. TABERNACLE FRIEND. An even better friend than the saints is waiting for your visit in the Tabernacle in His Real Presence. Talk to Him and He will fill you with joy. Remember the words of the Psalmist: “Look to the Lord and be radiant with joy!”
9. RECEIVE HIM. Take one more step: go to Mass and receive Him with purity of heart, profound humility and burning charity and you heart will explode with joy. Remember the disciples on the Road to Emmaus after listening to Jesus and meeting Him in the breaking of Bread. They returned with their hearts filled with joy. (Lk 24) Frequent, fervent, faith-filled Communions is a sure source of joy!
10. MARY. Pray to Mary, love Mary, spread Marian devotion and she will fill you with joy. One of her titles in the Litany is “Cause of our joy.”
In sum, may you be filled with joy. “Rejoice in the Lord; I say it again: rejoice in the Lord!” (Phil. 4:4)
Father Ed Broom, OMV, is Associate Pastor of St. Peter Chanel Church in Hawaiian Gardens, California. He is a member of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary and was ordained by Saint John Paul II on May 25, 1986. Fr. Ed teaches Catholic Ignatian Marian Spirituality through articles, podcasts, a radio show, retreats and spiritual direction.